WHAT IS NAMI’S FAMILY-TO-FAMILY PROGRAM?
The NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program is a free, 12-week course for family caregivers of individuals with severe mental illnesses.
- The course is taught by trained family members.
- All instruction and course materials are free to class participants.
- Over 300,000 family members have graduated from this national program.
WHAT DOES THE COURSE INCLUDE?
- Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders.
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence.
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery.
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness.
- Learning in special workshops for problem solving, listening, and communication techniques.
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload.
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community.
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services.
Family-to-Family Course Starts This Month
Family-to-Family is a free, 11-session educational program, which is for family members, friends and caregivers of people living with mental illness. The course is designed to help all family members understand and support their loved one living with mental illness, while maintaining their own well-being.
Sessions begin Sunday, August 25th.
The course will be held on Sundays, 2:30 p.m.-5 p.m. at Columbus Hospice Community Room, 7020 Moon Road. Comprehensive free course materials will be provided for each participant.
Pre-registration is required by calling 706-320-3755 (leave a message) or by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Space is still available.
We hope you’ll take part in this valuable NAMI training!